Today I propose the Laser-Focus Positivity Challenge, and let me preface the challenge by saying I hate the word positivity. It may be a real word, but it sounds made-up. Do you know what kind of people use words like positivity? It’s the same ones who say, “Between you and I”—in an attempt to sound intellectual. OK, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, you can see why I need this challenge.
I’m doing the Laser-Focus Positivity Challenge for myself, but I hope you’ll join me. Maggie’s post at Northern Expenditure on The Formula for a Productive, Happy Day inspired me. It reminded me I still need improvement. Maggie discusses a three-step formula for having a productive, happy day, which I encourage you to read about.
But saying I need improvement and taking steps to yield results are two different things. Knowing myself fairly well, I realize I must cultivate laser-like focus on positive thoughts and behaviors to get those results. Just like working out your savings muscle takes discipline, focusing on positive thoughts requires discipline as well. If left to my own devices, I don’t always look on the bright side of life.
So, I’ve got to change.
Have you read the Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle? I resisted reading it because Oprah highly recommended it. Tolle has appeared on Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday series several times. Power of Now became such a hot book, I was sure it sucked. (I ask you again—do you see why I need this challenge?) However, the most profound and simple truth is revealed right in Chapter One of this book. You are not your mind.
And in Chapter Three, Tolle further explains:
“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry—all forms of fear—are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence”.
I want what he’s got!
What I will Do
- I will watch Eckhart Tolle’s video talks at least twice a week for a total of thirty minutes.
- I will meditate for at least five minutes every day.
- I will continue to do my power walking every day.
- Every night before bed time I will write down three things I’m grateful for.
- Over the next week I will call a friend whom I haven’t talked with in a month or longer.
What I will Not Do
- I will not say the F word more than once a day (C’mon, I need a little lee-way here).
- I will not gossip or listen to gossip.
- I will not sleep past 7:45am on the weekends.
- I will not surf the Internet at night for more than one hour.
- I will not say “I can’t”. (I can say “no” or “I won’t” or “I don’t want to”—but not—”I can’t”).
Are you up for the Positive Laser Focus Challenge? Please join me in one of two ways:
- Write a paragraph or a list of your own “Do’s” and “Don’ts” in the comments section. Any format is fine. Simply share what you’re doing to improve yourself, whether you’re focusing on one thing, or more. Then report back again, in the comments section, by September 1, or
- Email me at [email protected] by
September 1Sunday September 4th, and describe the challenge you set up for yourself and how it went for you.
I’ll do a follow-up post expanding on everyone’s experiences with the challenge. If you contact me by email and prefer that I not share what you say publicly, let me know, and I won’t—I can be your private positivity buddy.
OK ready, set, go—start improving. And remember, always look on the bright side of life.